Pupu Hydro Power Scheme & Walkway
In 1924 the Golden Bay Power Board was formed and shortly after instigated the construction of the Pupu Hydro Station. The station reused a water race originally built by the Takaka Sluicing Company in 1901, and was completed in October 1929.
The station was decommissioned in 1981 but subsequently a local entity formed for the purpose, (the Pupu Hydro Society) has undertaken extensive work on the complex, and today the plant is operated as a working museum and once more produces electricity which is fed into the National Grid.
The society has also created a bush walkway taking in the historic gold miners water race. It takes just under two hours to walk the circuit.
There is a steepish climb up to the water race. The track is then level following the race past the off-take where a penstock leads down to the power station and along to where the race is supplied by the river. (1.7km)
This is a good place for a picnic.
The track then winds down back to the power station and the walk entrance.
The water race winds above an, at times, almost vertical drop so it is advisable to carry small children in a back pack.
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps
Note: Location is approximate.
The walkway entrance
The penstock down from the water race
The water race
The intake to the water race at the river.
The pelton wheel and generator set
The control panel is still in use